Vimsottari DasaVimsottari Dasa is the most important Dasa of Vedic astrology.
This Dasa is extensively described in Parasara Hora Shastra and is called the supreme Dasa of Vedic astrology (together with Kalachakra).
It is a strange fact that some supreme classical texts (Saravali, Brihat Jataka) do not mention this Dasa at all.
Vimsottari is a Nakshatra Dasa that is based upon the position of the Moon in her Lunar mansion. Each Nakshatra has a planet (or Node) as its lord. There are in total 9 lords.
Each of the lords has a fixed period of influence. The total period is of 120 years. Calculation of Dasa balance is described in the chapter above.
The basic rules for this Dasa are given in the next table.
|Dasa Lord||Duration (Years)||Nakshatras|
|Sun||6||3, 12, 21|
|Moon||10||4, 13, 22|
|Mars||7||5, 14, 23|
|Rahu||18||6, 15, 24|
|Jupiter||16||7, 16, 25|
|Saturn||19||8, 17, 26|
|Mercury||17||9, 18, 27|
|Ketu||7||1, 10, 19|
|Venus||20||2, 11, 20|
SubperiodsAntardasas are calculated according to the proportional values of the lords. Antardasas begin with the lord of the major Dasa. Each lord has a propotional time of influence.
Example: The Moon's Dasa is of 10 years. Each Antardasa contributes the same proportional value as indicated by the portion of the Mahadasas.
So Moon/Moon will be of 10 * 10/120 years = 10 months.
Moon/Mars will be of 10 * 7/120 years = 0 years 7 months, etc.
Interpretation of Vimsottari DasaEach Dasa has several influences
- The dignity of the Dasa/Antardasa lords in Rasi chart are of high importance. Their house positions must be regarded with care.
- Navamsa position is important, too. Special aspects of life should be predicted from other Varga charts (like children from D7, siblings from D3).
- The Mahadasa lord becomes Lagna for the time of the Dasa. Antardasas must be regarded relative to this Lagna.
- Friendship and enmity of the Dasa and Antardasa lords are important. So inimical relation between Dasa and Antardasa lord can be inauspicious even if their house positions and strengths are good (and vice versa).
- Most events happen in appropiate Antardasas. Events indicated by Mahadasas are most likely to happen in appropiate Antardasas.
- The natural character of the Dasa/Antardasa lords is not so important in Vimsottari Dasa (let's say 15%).
- Combination of Dasas is important. So events indicated by Vimsottari will surely happen if Yogini and Kalachakra Dasas agree.
- House and Nakshatra positions of running planets should be regarded, too. So Gochara and Sarvatobhadra can give valuable hints if (and when) events will come true.